Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Huckleberry Finn on Prayer

"Miss Watson, she took me in the closet and prayed, but nothing came of it.
She told me to pray everyday, and whatever I asked for I would git it. But it warn't so. I tried it. Once I got a fish line but no hooks. It warn't any good to me without hooks. I tried for the hooks three or four times, but somehow I couldn't make it work. By and by, one day, I asked Miss Watson to try for me, but she said I was a fool. She never told me why, and I could never make it out no way.
I set down one day in the woods and had a long think about it. I says to myself, if a body can get anything they pray for, why don't Deacon Wynn get back the money he lost on pork? Why can't Miss Watson fat up? No, says I to myself, there ain't nothin' to it."

"Huckleberry Finn," by Mark Twain

No comments: